On Thu, Oct 04, 2007 at 10:09:22AM +0200, Helge Hafting wrote:
> Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:
> >Dov Feldstern <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> >>I think this would be very unintuitive behavior in the case of
> >>character styles.
> >>

> >I do not think so. I have yet to see of a good example where
> >overlapping extents are useful (do you have a better example than the
> >TEI one?). We should not design the UI around a weird case.
> >
> How about this:
>
> I mark a couple of paragraphs and turn on "emph" to get them
> emphasized.  They are then in a charstyle inset.
>
> Next, I figure that I need to copy (or move) stuff around.
> I need one of the emphasized paragraphs and one other.
> So that is what I try to mark and copy/move.
>
> But LyX won't let me mark "half an inset plus some more text".
> This behaviour makes sense for minipages and footnotes,
> but not necessarily for emphasizing. Copying, moving or deleting
> part of an emphasized region is not such a strange thing to do.
> Especially deleting.
>
> There is also the nasty surprise if I start selection inside
> the emph region and scroll so I never see that the rest gets
> selected once the cursor goes outside.  This happens
> with minipages too of course, but deleting half a minipage plus
> some more is more unusual.
>
> Helge Hafting

Not very convincing, is it? Most people learn from experience. What
would happen here is that they would quickly pick up that -- no, this
stuff does not behave like italicize; it behaves like insets instead.
Familiar paradigm that too, though different. After that realization,
everything becomes natural, and the above mistakes silly in retrospect.
And soon the penny will drop on the many advantages.

- Martin