Cucinotta Tommaso wrote:
On Fri, 5 Oct 2007 20:38:52 +0200
 Andre Poenitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>we need a good infrastructure for embedding one or more workareas
>>into a dialog.

I would say "for having more workarea widgets around".
Probably, whether embedded into dialogs, toolbars or tab
panes is not that important.
Yes, we also want split views but I see the two kinds as separate. I have plans to implement split view but not as an embedded dialog.

>could you explain briefly why?

For advance search&replace.

Probably a few other use cases where it could be used are:
- having a split-window feature, that would allow to have
  more workareas (on same or different buffers) in the same
  LyX View
Yes (see above) but this is different as this needs direct interaction with the other "real" workareas. Those other types (embedded ones) do not need the same kind of interaction:

- having a OO-like "style" pane, where the layouts/styles
  are shown how they appear, and the user may click to
  select them, or right click to edit
- showing an index-pane (probably left-docked), where user
  can click and go to the various sections.

  T.