On Sun, Oct 07, 2007 at 05:38:54PM +0100, John Levon wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 05, 2007 at 10:53:14PM +0300, Martin Vermeer wrote:

> > Is this what you mean? Sure you could do it. I would expect
>
> I'm not really interested in implementation. This thread is all about
> the UI, that's what REALLY matters.
>
> Given your other post it seems that you'd actually be for an inset-based
> CT UI. You are at least consistent :)

Only because you forced me to think it through... thanks for
that.

Let me see: is your UI objection due to the fact that running
text is linear, a narrative, and insets break that logic
(selection, cursor movement, line breaking)?

If so (a sensible argument), than for CT the argument becomes
IMO invalid: here we have an indeed linear base narrative, but
annotated with tentative additions and deletions, so no longer
linear. And in CT mode, operations like select, cut and paste
are anyway tightly circumscribed.

I don't see how insets containing those annotations can do
any more damage to the linearity.

It is somewhat similar (not exactly of course) as with
branches.

How does that carry over to text styles? For mark-up such as
emph, if it extends over some length of text, I see your point.
But for other cases of well-defined semantic mark-up such as
noun, I disagree. These are always short, self-contained,
(well you may want to correct a person's name if spelled wrong
but that's it), and essentially 'atoms' or single characters
from the narrative POV.

The same for the many short elements defined in XML. Those are
natural insets.

And BTW you may exclude implementation from this argument, but
in real life it _is_ along. Coding resources are limited, and
other things being equal or close, it should be looked at. An
implemented, good UI beats a perfect one that requires
prohibitive implementation _and_ maintenance resources...

- Martin