On Sun, Oct 07, 2007 at 08:46:47PM +0300, Martin Vermeer wrote:

> Let me see: is your UI objection due to the fact that running
> text is linear, a narrative, and insets break that logic
> (selection, cursor movement, line breaking)?

That seems like a fair summation.

> If so (a sensible argument), than for CT the argument becomes
> IMO invalid: here we have an indeed linear base narrative, but
> annotated with tentative additions and deletions, so no longer
> linear. And in CT mode, operations like select, cut and paste
> are anyway tightly circumscribed.

Yes, there's actually /more/ of an argument for CT insets than style
insets I think. However, my usual objections still apply I think. It'd
still be jarring to have the cursor behave "strangely" just because a
word has been inserted.

> How does that carry over to text styles? For mark-up such as
> emph, if it extends over some length of text, I see your point.
> But for other cases of well-defined semantic mark-up such as
> noun, I disagree. These are always short, self-contained,
> (well you may want to correct a person's name if spelled wrong
> but that's it), and essentially 'atoms' or single characters
> from the narrative POV.
>
> The same for the many short elements defined in XML. Those are
> natural insets.

I understand what you're all saying about this difference. I think it's
a fair thing to point out. However, I'm extremely dubious that it makes
sense for the UI to express this semantic difference. How does this
advantage the user? I don't remember seeing a clear answer to this
question.

> And BTW you may exclude implementation from this argument, but
> in real life it _is_ along. Coding resources are limited, and
> other things being equal or close, it should be looked at. An
> implemented, good UI beats a perfect one that requires
> prohibitive implementation _and_ maintenance resources...

I just about managed to get CT working and that was way harder. I'm
entirely confident in the LyX team's ability to implement a range based
style feature and make it maintainable.

Since it seems the claim that inset code can provide a non-inset based
UI has been dropped, the argument is pretty much entirely about an inset
UI vs. a ranges UI I think. It's ultimately dangerous to consider
implementation when arguing this, since you already have the inset code
pretty much done, and lethargy tends to be a compelling argument :/

regards
john