Dov Feldstern wrote:
Or, what if you have two "emph" insets one inside the other --- using the current implementation, I believe you'd get something like "\emph{bla bla \emph{bla bla}}", which is probably *not* what we want.
This very much depends. Certainly the construction makes perfectly good sense, and depending upon how \emph is defined, maybe it uses bold for the embedded emph. As we discussed elsewhere, the current implementation of \emph makes perfectly good sense for most uses. But this illustration suggests that maybe there should also be an \emph charstyle, just for such uses.

Richard