Martin Vermeer wrote:
On Sun, Oct 28, 2007 at 08:27:33PM +0200, Dov Feldstern wrote:

Have you tried to change the language around the URL inset (i.e., at the location of the inset in the external lyxtext) to English?
No, this won't work (I mean, it will work, but it's wrong for a different reason): normally when switching to LTR after having switched to RTL, we just close the previous RTL, rather than open a new level of LTR.

So we'd get:                    abc \R{DEF} {url} \R{GHI} jkl
instead of the correct:         abc \R{DEF \L{{url}} GHI} jkl

The former renders visually as: abc FED {url} IHG jkl
whereas the latter renders as:  abc IHG {url} FED jkl

Ah... feels like a similar problem to the \emph ambiguity... perhaps you
would need a LtR inset for this? ;-)

:) I readily admitted at the time that there are some situations in which having insets for LTR/RTL would be useful for solving ambiguities.

However, this is not one of those cases: for one thing, here we already have an inset --- the URL inset... Would you propose having the entire RTL inside an inset, inside it another LTR inset for the URL, and inside of that the URL inset itself? No, in this case I think that would be unnecessary overhead...