Martin Vermeer wrote:
On Sun, Oct 28, 2007 at 09:37:36AM +0200, Martin Vermeer wrote:
On Sun, Oct 28, 2007 at 02:27:25AM +0200, Dov Feldstern wrote:

 Martin Vermeer wrote:

There's another consideration which you may already be aware of, but which I only just found out now, after playing around with this: part of the problem is that some of these latex commands process their contents in a verbatim fashion. For example, \url does not allow other latex commands inside it --- e.g., typing "\selectlanguage{hebrew}" inside a \url just gets processed verbatim. I had not realized that this was a latex --- rather than a LyX --- limitation. So I guess that that's what the 'verbatim' option is signifying in this case.

Yes, but it's also a verbatim LyX property now.
Now, there's also another problem with the URL inset. Currently, I'm having the same problem we were having a few weeks back with the ERT insets: if I try to insert a URL while typing Hebrew text, the font inside it is Hebrew, and I can't switch it to English (well, again, I guess what I actually want is latin, not English per-se?) because we disabled the lfuns. So we should be forcing the font inside the inset to latin, and I guess the best way we have for doing that is by forcing the font to latex_language. Does this sound right (despite what I was saying above about not expanding the usage of latex_language :( ) --- i.e., should we be forcing latex_language for all 'verbatim' insets?

I would not be happy about this as I said. Elaborating, the
problem of needing in this case to switch encodings is due to
a LaTeX limitation. If LaTeX were Unicode-capable, we could just write, and the typed chars would come out right by
themselves. As it is, the Unicode must be converted to 8-bit
encodings with switches inbetween. LyX2lyx ought to handle this
transparently.

How is the encoding decision taken BTW in LyX? Only based on the language mark-up? Or could it look at the actual characters
too?

Only language I think (but I am not sure).

Abdel.