I wonder how much resistance the (re- ;-)) introduction of a
'real' lyx string class would meet.

Could be as simple as a struct wrapping a std::string<whatever>
and delegating all of the work to std::string.

The main advantages would be 'declarability' (i.e.  class DocString;
would suffice in lots of places where we have #include "docstring.h"
(and consequently <string>) nowadays), and the possibility of having
convenience functions (i.e. stuff from lstring, but also things like
'ends_with()' or such in the class.

There should be no performance penalty as all the delegation would
quite probably be inlined, i.e. the ninary might be even identical.

The main problem I see is that some people will not be happy for
political rather than technical reasons.

Andre'