On Thu, Nov 01, 2007 at 05:20:17PM +0100, Abdelrazak Younes wrote:

> Enrico Forestieri wrote:

> >> That should do. But I personally prefer you first patch and I'd be
> >> interested to know why it doesn't work on cygwin.
> >
> > It also doesn't work on Windows and FreeBSD, for example.
>
> Well, as I said, if there is something to fix by passing a char_type
> instead of an unsigned char, let's just fix it instead of turning around
> the problem. I must admit I haven't looked closely at the source though.
>
> > I think it
> > would be embarrassing explaining it, as this would imply recognizing a
> > basic ignorance about C++, and this should not be the case.
>
> That is maybe the case. As my ego is not so enormous that I can admit I
> am stupid when this is the case, please explain me.

A typedef name provides an alternative name for an existing data type.
It does not create a new data type, so when char_type is typedef'd to
boost::uint32_t, you will get an integral representation of the char_type
value rather than the corresponding character when outputting to a
docstream. And you can't overload a typedef.

--
Enrico