On Sun, Nov 11, 2007 at 01:53:52PM +0100, Andre Poenitz wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 11, 2007 at 01:21:03PM +0100, Andre Poenitz wrote:
> > > I think this is the time to check it in -- with the trivial
> > > renames you propose. We're not close to a trunk release so any
> > > bugs will get ironed out in a timely manner.
> >
> > I'd like to see some performance measures first, lest we paint
> > ourselves into a corner here.
>
> An entirely unscientific test (sitting in front of the computer and
> counting) yields ~4s for loading the UserGuide before applying the patch
> and ~13s afterwards. There is some additional debug output, but I don't
> think the resulting scrolling in the terminal accounts for all of those
> nine extra seconds.

Looks better with the debug output disabled. Still:

> So please: Produce some numbers showing that there are no inacceptable
> regressions wrt to performance. A performance degradation by a factor of
> 3 for loading documents does not look like a good start.

Also, loading the UserGuide and keeping <PageDown> pressed gets stuck at
some point of time. Also, on the way there the cursor is sometimes
off-screen.

Maybe you can also get in touch with Alfredo. He spent quite some time
with the current architecture so he might be aware of more pitfalls than
I am.

Andre'