Juergen Vigna <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

| Well Lars IMO we could discuss just a bit about this, I could give you
| the same 'blinding fast...' fast keybindings and so we could go on discussing
| about wrongly saving a newfile.lyx or having a autosave-file #newfile.lyx#
| around I don't want, but this is just going nowhere. IMO that most 'normal'
| user like the actual aproach (this is a subjective impression I
| got!) and

"IMO" can never say anything about what users like or dislike. You
have to poll for tat, but even ten you will probably not get the
"normal" users. I am not saying that the old behaviour was the best,
but the new behaviour is certainly not the best either.

| you always can have the old behaviour, with a single #define statment, we
| also could put that as a configure option if you really want.

This is totally unacceptable. (#define, configure option and lyxrc
alike) We need a way that seem natural.

| Where you are right is that there are still errors in the new behaviour
| and I will take care off them as I indroduced this part of the code.

That is another point, this code was introduced too fast, without
thought on other alternatives. Is (now) also clear that the issues
about temporary directories was not closely ivestigated before the
implementation.

BUT I am open to suggestions on how to satisfy both of us, and I
really belive that a nice scheme should be possible to provide.

One idea(probably too simplistic), would be to use the old behaviour,
but let the "newfile" be a unique filename so that you wont get
clashes. This would owever mean that you would have to press RETURN
one time after File->New (or click ok). I tink I could agree on this
being a lyxrc variable: \new_file_default_ok. You would set this to
true I would set it to false. Would that work?

This would mean _no_ special handling at all, and the variables you
introduced in Buffer could be removed.

        Lgb