>  Well, that's my case. Bo, you want to state yours?

You have stated the problems clear enough. It seems to me that your
solution will not work because params, by its nature, does not hold
enough information to reconstruct EmbeddedFileList, so a lot of
complexity will have to be introduced to make it work. I use
EmbeddedFIleList to represent the list, and contruct params when
needed. The only problem, as you have said, is the lack of original
user input, which may be represented in other cases as a lack of
relative path information. The natural solution is to add such
information to EmbeddedFile as meta_, or as a main piece of
information if we are going to stop deriving EmbeddedFile from
DocFileName.

I do not actually see any problem with this approach, but if params is
indeed troublesome to work with, it is params that needs to be
changed.

Cheers,
Bo