On Mon, 21 Aug 2000, Martijn Brouwer wrote:

> Hello Baruch,
> At 06:35 AM 8/19/00 +0300, you wrote:
> >I'm the developer who works on the Graphics Inset, that is the component
> >that is responsible for the insertion of graphics into LyX documents and
> >emiting the LaTeX code for them. That is I'm working on the NEW Graphics
> >Insert as opposed to the old (and unsupported) FigInset.
>
> >There are quite a few features that will be added, for example the
> >auto-conversion of file formats, say from EPS to PNG when generating PDF
> >files, and from JPG to PNG or EPS when generating PS or PDF outputs.
>
> I would very much appreciate the possibility to insert pstex/pstex_t
> figures in the same way as normal .eps figures, with the possility to ajust
> its size and view the result in a wysiwym way.
> I am not a TeX-nician, but to me it seems that this is not impossible, or
> am I wrong. I hope it does not require to much rewriting...

I expect this to occur later on in the schedule, for this to happen I'll
actually need to merge my InsetGraphics with ExternalInset, the first
handles only pure graphics files, the second can handle mostly anything,
but it doesn't give the graphics dialog for the graphics file. It was
already discussed in the development list, and I expect the merger to
happen one day, though it's not as simple as it sounds and requires some
work and thought to be done correctly.

The reason that my InsetGraphics won't do this from the start is that it
requires special handling, the external inset actually takes the .fig file
and exports from it the pstex sources that are then included into the
latex sources with a special latex code that is needed for this. The
graphics inset has no such smartness, the idea is to have the graphics
dialog capability for the graphics import of the external inset. Until
then if you want the pstex use the external inset, if you want resizing
create an EPS output from the XFig file and use that.

> >features or less important. The net question is this, assuming I can get
> >either inline viewing or additional features into the Graphics Inset for
> >the next version of LyX, what would you prefer?
>
> In my oppinion features are nearly allways more important than presentation.

Another vote for features first :-)
I'll change course to add features over doing inline viewing. But actually
the auto-conversion feature that is on the top of the list has components
that are shared with the inline viewing so it's not really diverging.