LyX seems to have developed acne.  There are pimples everywhere now.
I think there is at least one we can squeeze out: the GUIRuntime pimple.

I can't see that it serves any useful purpose to have an extra class here
(other than helping extend compile times by a second or so). Why not just
share the common header file in frontends/GUIRuntime.h between the toolkit
specific frontends/*/GUIRuntime.C?  Just like we do with
frontends/*/Dialogs.C.  It will achieve the same effect -- we only have
one of the pimple implementations in any given executable now anyway.

Nice idiom, wrong application.  Even if someone eventually finds the need
for variables in the GUIRuntime class then you could use a Pimpl specific
to the toolkits.  Either way we don't need frontends/GUIRuntime.C.

What you would have at best (with the current implementation rewritten):
        frontend/GUIRuntime.h
        frontend/*/GUIRuntime.C

at worst (if someone needed variables in class GUIRuntime):
        frontend/GUIRuntime.h
        frontend/*/GUIRuntime.C
        frontend/*/GUIRuntime_pimpl.h
        frontend/*/GUIRuntime_pimpl.C