On 21 Aug 2000, Lars Gullik Bjønnes wrote:

> Allan Rae <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> | > Well to answer you what I think: [...]
> | > Why activate NEW_TABULAR and not NEW_INSETS: [...]
> | >
> | > So you see while the tabular-inset IS ready for prime-time most (it reads
> | > all old code correct I tried this with various files and also the UserGuide!)
> | > the other text inset still need lot's of work.
> | [...]
> | > My vote is 1.1.6 with ONLY NEW_TABULAR activated!
>
> I think I'd be willing to do this for 1.1.6.
>
> | I'm willing to compromise on my 1.1.6-with-no-NEW_ANYTHING by suggesting:
> |
> |     ./configure --with-bleeding-edge=tabular \
> |             --with-bleeding-edge=insets
>
> Hate it already... the fileformats will not be compatible.

So?  The point is to make it easier for people to test the new stuff. As
it is now they have to figure out where to set a #define.  Maybe this is a
useful way of filtering out people who probably couldn't do much debugging
if they did encounter problems but it also means that people with a little
time and the skills are put off trying the new stuff. *I'm* put off trying
the new stuff because I have to change the sources and hence risk
committing that change to cvs (as I think Jürgen has already done
himself) and I have only a little time for LyX at present.

> | This makes it even easier for people to try the new stuff while still
> | recognising that it may be buggy.  Besides, having a --with-bleeding-edge
> | option would be a fun and useful addition ;-)
>
> No, not really.

You're right.  I should have suggested:
        ./configure --with-cucumber=insets

:Þ