>  > 2. If you simply can not accept such a filename in .lyx file, you
>  > should disable it for all insets.
>
>  Care to explain the difference between "in .lyx file" and "for all insets"?

I meant that we should not allow absolute paths in .lyx file for all
insets such as InsetGraphics, not only those with embedded files, IF
absolute path in .lyx file is an concern. This does not matter if you
do not think absolute paths in .lyx file is a problem.

>  > 3. The filename is functional in my proposal. It is useful information
>  > that would assist unbundling on local or another machine.
>
>  You mean unbundle as AbsDir/home/bo/myfiles/file.dat on _my_ machine?
>  Why would I want _that_?

Because *I* want that when you send the file back to me. The whole
argument is still about reversibility. What I am trying to achieve are
that

1. I can edit a .lyx file as usual and the file can be saved  in plain
text format, with external files.
2. When I send the file in bundled format, the file itself (I mean the
bundled text version) should not be changed. (a version control
concern).
3. When the bundled file is unbundled on another machine, another user
can edit and compile it just fine.
4. On another machine, unbundle and bundle should NOT change file content.

My own addition:
5. Users do not have to unbundle a file to view and print a .lyx document.
6. Users can work in bundled mode with word/ooffice style of embedding.

Note that it is tricky to have 4 because an out of tree file has to be
unbundled to the document directory for security reasons. My proposal
is to unbunble such a file as $DOC_DIR/LyX.Embed.Abs/blah, and when
such a file is saved in bundled mode, it is translated back to blah.

In short (again), I would like to creating a lyx format that can be
opened directly by anyone on any OS and produce identical outputs.
This would better happen without modifying existing .lyx document, and
without loss of information during bundling and unbundling on any
machine.

My implementation, though complicated, will achieve all these.

Cheers,
Bo