> > Richard (JMarc), will you accept a 'open by winzip' solution as Enrico
> proposed?
> >

>  Note that we could as well use the internal zip for opening such files, no
> need to do that externally.

There are some issues here.

1. When a user opens filename.lyz, Richard's proposal, as far as I
understand, it to create filename.lyxdir/content.lyx directly. From a
user's point of view, he is working on filename.lyz. (There is a
current directory problem I will talk about later when we decide on
this issue).

2. Enrico's proposal was that by letting users extract the zip file
explicitly, *we* do not have to worry about where the user want to put
it, whether or not some file will be overwritten, and whether or not
some file might be extracted to some improper places. If Lyx does
this, this will be our responsibility.

I guess my question is: do you want users to *think* they are working
on filename.lyz in that directory (Richard's), or they are working on
filename.lyxdir/content.lyx in a new folder created by lyx (Enrico's)?

This has something to do with user's understanding with how embedding
works, and how to interpret ../../images/file.png if we ever allow
such file to exist in our .lyx file.

> > >  No, we are not forced to do this. I can well imagine two push buttons
> > > corresponding to two use cases: "organise document for bundling" (UC1)
> and
> > > another "save in bundled format" (US2).
> > >

> > Both, or one of them?
> >

>  Both use cases are valid IMHO, I am personally only interested in the
> second one.

OK.

> > And do you keep our 1.5.x way of working? I
> > mean, allow users to user any files without copying them to a
> > directory.
> >

>  Yes, we should of course not forbid out of tree reference files.

You said that you also want to keep 1.5.x (non-dir) format, right? To
what degree do you want to be able to convert *back* from the bundled
directory format to the non-dir format? This has two implications

1. Content.lyx in the bundle is actually in 1.5.x format, so there is
actually no *back* conversion. When you open content.lyx directly in
unbundled mode, as Richard suggested, you simply stops copying files
to this directory. Note that there is a 'bundle content.lyx' problem
here so either lyx should know it is in a bundled directory (open
content.lyx directly), or a content.lyxdir/content.lyx will be created
when you bundle content.lyx.

2. However,  when you convert from an existing file to the bundled
format, you lose a lot of information, and you copy files around. Do
you wish to be able to recover your original file?

Abdel, please do not get mad at these subtle questions, I am not being
annoying here, these are indeed my concerns.

Cheers,
Bo