Abdelrazak Younes wrote:
Pavel Sanda wrote:
that will be my last commit.
that is the best solution if you cannot live with compromise.

i guess he could live if people start to flame embedding philosophy when he asked in start of implementing. i fully understand the frustration of reverting it back after months of development when nobody raised a single voice. so its not only Bo's strong opinion but inattention of the rest of us in the beginning.

Very true.

interesting question is if we can minimize or prevent such troubles in the future, because its pity to lose devs in this way. one idea coming to my mind is to change the way how main features are proposed or planned in the beginning
of the release cycle. maybe to get one oponent or revision of general
construction (details can be flamed always, but not the general things.) thats
just idea, maybe its just too much burden, don't know.

Actually, I remember some discussion before and during the implementation (at least with Jose IIRC). So the procedure was OK in this case. It is just that this feature is particularly difficult to grasp.

Let me second all of this. Pavel is right that "major features" should be discussed openly and not committed until we have some kind of agreement. And sometimes that works. But it's also true, as many of us, I think, have experienced, that it isn't always easy to get feedback. For example, Andre recently criticized some of the changes I made to InsetCommandParams. In fact, I think he was right to do so and that there is a better way, but: (a) The ideas I implemented were ones that had originally been suggested to me on the list and discussed openly; (b) before proceeding, I posted several messages concerning general design questions and got almost no response (silence is assent); and (c) I posted at least many of the patches on the list before committing them. Now, to be sure, we can't all read everything, but it is frustrating to try to get feedback, not get it, and then later be criticized.

I'd have to go back and look at the emails, but I also remember that there was some discussion of how this should be implemented. I think that Jose raised objections way back then that were not very different form the ones he raised just recently, and I don't think there really was a resolution, but I guess Bo felt he could proceed, and did. But then just a month or so ago, he completely changed the implementation, in ways that intruded significantly on the inset code, and there was NO discussion of that. And I was just too busy then to be paying much attention to the cvs logs that were going by, as I guess were lots of other people. That should have been discussed.

In any event, the "nail in the coffin" for Bo's approach ended up being security issues that were first raised by Andre. These can be hard to foresee. It wasn't that these issues couldn't be addressed within Bo's approach. It was, rather, that once you'd addressed them, you couldn't have true "reversibility" any longer, and then the motivation for his approach kind of evaporated, because that was the guiding idea.

Richard