>  Take the current lyx file as an example, we discourage the manual change of
> lyx files but we don't disallow it.

You completely missed the point. Of course users can manually edit
.lyx file, edit filename.lyxdir/figures/figure.png, even dig out my
hidden E23479789.png and edit, but if a feature is so difficult to use
so users have to rely on such hacking, it is LyX's problem.

So the problem here is that because there is no external file in
Richard's bundled mode, users tend to hack filename.lyxdir so that
they can update some files directly.

>  I see no difference between these two scenarios.

And I have said all I can say.

Cheers,
Bo