On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 04:14:12PM +0200, Enrico Forestieri wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 12:50:30PM +0200, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:
>
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> >
> > > Author: forenr
> > > Date: Sat Jul 26 12:45:38 2008
> > > New Revision: 25898

> > > Log:
> > > Automate setting of LYX_DIR_XXx and LYX_USERDIR_XXx environment variable
> > > names.
> >
> > This is a good thing, although it does not remove the need to update
> > the documentation and manpage as needed.
>
> Yes, this is still unfinished.
>
> > >  dnl Extract the single digits from PACKAGE_VERSION and make them
> > > available.
> > > -dnl Defines LYX_MAJOR_VERSION, LYX_MINOR_VERSION, LYX_RELEASE_LEVEL, and
> > > -dnl LYX_RELEASE_PATCH, the latter being possibly equal to 0.
> > > +dnl Defines LYX_MAJOR_VERSION, LYX_MINOR_VERSION, LYX_RELEASE_LEVEL,
> > > +dnl LYX_RELEASE_PATCH (possibly equal to 0), LYX_DIR_VER, and
> > > LYX_USERDIR_VER.
> >
> > Is it really necessary to both #define and SUBST these variables?
>
> I did that because it was my intention to also update docs and manpages at
> install time by using something as "sed -e 's/LYX_DIR_VER/@LYX_DIR_VER@/'"
> in Makefile.am. That turned out to be strightforward for manpages but not
> so strightforward for the docs (and then this should have been done for
> scons, too). I was in a hurry and thus left that unfinished.
>
> > > + lyx_dir_ver=`echo LYX_DIR_${lyx_major}${lyx_minor}x`
> > > + lyx_userdir_ver=`echo LYX_USERDIR_${lyx_major}${lyx_minor}x`
> >
> > Why not just the following?
> > + lyx_dir_ver=LYX_DIR_${lyx_major}${lyx_minor}x
> > + lyx_userdir_ver=LYX_USERDIR_${lyx_major}${lyx_minor}x
>
> An oversight on my part. Please, feel free to improve that and finish
> the work, if you like, as I will not be able to do that for a while.

In the end, I found the time and way to finish it:
http://www.lyx.org/trac/changeset/26118
http://www.lyx.org/trac/changeset/26119

I did not update scons, but I think it will be a matter of seconds
for Bo to do it. What needs to be done is replacing the strings
"LYX_DIR_VER" and "LYX_USERDIR_VER" with "LYX_DIR_%sx"' % majmin_ver
and "LYX_USERDIR_%sx"' % majmin_ver, respectively, in the docs and
man pages after they have been installed.

--
Enrico