the vile heretic Allan added,

> On Thu, 14 Sep 2000, hawk wrote:

> > Lars leered,

> > > Say that to thousends of emacs users.

> > vile heretics, all :)

> C-c C-m   Two keystrokes        (4 keys)
> C-c m     again two keystrokes  (3 keys)

> How often would you do this?  Not as often as saving I would expect ...

A few times in a typical paragraph, actually.

>... which is:

> C-x C-s   Two keystrokes        (3 keys)  one hand (adjacent keys)

> vs that abomination vi (and it really is Friday as I write this not late
> Thursday afternoon as your emails datestamp indicated for you!! Hummphf)

It appears it was Thursday.  I'd been using emacs to edit some system
files, and . . . :)

It was a long week.  I suppose Friday was wishful thinking . . . at
least I showed up to teach Thursday's classes rather than Friday's (I
think :)

> S-: w Enter  Three keystrokes   (4 keys) two hands (all over the place)

I suppose it's odd for a keystroke whore :), but I don't tend to count
the modifier keys in my count.  I'd take C-x C-s as two, and :w Enter
as three--and even then, I don't tend to fully count trailing enters
for some reason.  But then there's :s/a/b/Enter, that compares to
M-xreplace-regexp a Enter b Enter . . . (which I also use more often
than save . . . [come to think of it, save is kind of redundant with
autosave on both lyx & vim . . .

 > more seriously, the insanely long keystrokes are a major reason that I
> > tend to vi rather than emacs.  *everything* should be mapped to quick
> > sequences.

> I agree with all but the order of the words "vi" and "emacs" in the above
> quote.     If vi is so popular why isn't there a vi binding for LyX?

I've thought about it :)  I suppose it would run out of the buffer?
But drafting students to turn the mail-merge patch into a library and
support code is a higher priority.  (hmm, so should kicking out a few
articles and tenure :)

> > It's friday; that means I can call emacs users vile heretics, can't I?

> > > It is only in your mind.

> Lars, was ahead of you when he wrote this.  See emacs users are even
> pre-emptive!  If you want to claim it's Friday change your email date
> stamp before sending on a Thursday!

Ahh, that's why it's so big.  It's got the whole week loaded at once :)

> > It's my fingers.  More keystrokes leads to less typed output.

the vi pervert Andre audiated

>The problem is that there are quite a few things missing from the
>LyX kernel to make such a thing viable. I don't think it is possible
>at all to simulate vi's modes by fiddling with keybindings only.

I think we'd need to run from the mini-buffer to avoid an
escape-sequence for every command . . . hey, wait, there's only one
mode in vi.  Insert is a command, not a mode (at least until vim
blurred the distinciton . . .

as another advocate of the one true editor, Amir admitted,
>> S-: w Enter  Three keystrokes   (4 keys) two hands (all over the place)

>I believe Dvorak found that two hands is *better* than one.

But dvorak has mostly been debunked.  His studies were run by a
relative of the person trying to sell the keyboards.

I will add that I've never needed medical treatment for using vi, but
that I can't say the same about emacs . . .

>> If vi is so popular why isn't there a vi binding for LyX?

>Because LyX is a totally different application. Programming often requires
>lots of small changes to text. Writing a paper does require small changes,
>but also more straight typing of paragraphs, for which it doesn't really
>matter whether you have vi or emacs bindings

Then again, when I was stranded for two days with a laptop and an out
of date version of my dissertation, I was able to copy the lyx file,
edit it, make a diff, and patch the master file when I returned.

I've also used vi on a number of occasions to edit lyx files (and emacs
a couple of times, too--I still haven't figured out how to include line
breaks in vi search/replace . . .)

>(Those who really think that knowing whether you're in insert mode or not is
>so complicated that you can't use vi will be happy to know that vim actually
>tells you when you're in insert mode.)

yikes.  how do these people find the keyboard? :)

>But I have a strange feeling this discussion has gone on before somewhere
>... ;)

but rarely with such humor and civility :)

>And since it's Friday, I have the attached small gif file which makes my
>point very well I think ;)

hey, do you have a larger version of this?  I *really* need it for one
of the local heretics :)

Kayvan karped,

>> hawk, who still needs to file bug reports on mkdir and rmdir, as any
>> commands that important should only be two letters . . .

>Use aliases ('md' and 'rd').

ack! I've got those, but I really want to see it on the "BUGS" portion
of the man pages :)

Also, I was reminded of . in vi, which I'd been trying to remember :)

jmarc jabbed,
>Use MSDOS.

uhh, to paraphrase James Joyce, I've lost my keystrokes, not my mind :)

hawk,hoping it really is firday this time . . .