Abdelrazak Younes wrote:
Konrad Hofbauer wrote:
Something relevant for the menus, but not quite clear to me (and I believe in parts a bit buggy/inconsistent). Maybe somebody can explain.

What I think we should have (conceptually):
a) "Files" (=documents)
and
b) "Views" onto the file (one or more, in various windows and tabs).

In the menus this should be represented IMHO (and some HIGs) with

1) Open File (opens file in current window into a new tab)
2) Close File (closes file in ALL views)

3) New Tab (opens a new empty tab)

Not possible. A tab is a document view, it cannot be empty. But you can have 'Open File in New Tab' if you want, or 'Open File in New Split Window'. The later is offerer by (X)Emac IIRC.

OK I understand.

4) Close Tab (closes view, and also the file if it was the only view)

Yes that makes sense; but in the Window menu.

5) New Window (opens a new empty window)
6) Close Window (closes window and all tabs included, and files if there is no more view on them).

Agreed on the action, but those two but in the Window menu too.

7) Split Window (this is conceptually like a new window)
8) Remove Split Window (see close window)

Ditto.

Questions:
I) Am I correct with the above?

Mostly.

II) Do we do that right now?
III) What is "close-tab-group" supposed to do (in relation to above)?

Close a group of tabs. You have as many group as split windows. Should probably be renamed to 'Close split window'.

OK - makes sense.

IV) After I split a window, how do I "unsplit" it (dragging to the edge still keeps the views, and a handle).

See above ;-)

V) Should we have somthing like "Open current document in ... (new window, tab, split-view, ...)"?

IMHO yes, in the File menu.

I don't have the time to read all the discussion but you guys seem to do well.

Fair enough. There should be somebody who does real work on LyX, too. ;-)

Keep it up!

We try.

Thanks for your clarifications!
/Konrad