> Actually, this is the first time I hear the "SCons", so I looked it up in
> wikipeida, then I knew this is a build tool like CMake which I heard before.

cmake and scons can both build lyx under windows. cmake has the
advantage that it produces a native VC project, but it does not (?)
build a windows installer. scons is basically a command line tool.

> Another quesin tion is: the Visual C++ 2008 express is necessary? Or I should
> use the professional version?

I do not know. Most people use VC express because it is free. Other
versions should work.

> If I only want to build  one executable file such as "lyx.exe" or "XXX.exe",
> Do I need to build the whole project?

scons lyx

will only build lyx.

> It seems that I should download the latest SVN version of the source codes.
> What is the total source file size? It's 20M+ or 50M+ or ...

I do not really know. You can check out the source and have a look at
it by yourself.

Cheers,
Bo