On 27 Sep 2000, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:

> I am not sure I have been clear here. What I think is that a right
> solution should be easier to obtain that a wrong one. Of course, this
> does not mean much in itself. I think we should only propose _logical_
> styles in menu/toolbar, not physical ones. So we should setup a scheme
> to define these logical styles, and add hooks to these styles in
> toolbar. Typewriter should be a "code" character style, for example.
> There has been a proposal for that posted by Lars some times ago.
>
> Concerning for example sans-serif, the question is to know when you
> need it, and what you want to express with it. It this "idea" that
> should be in the toolbar, not the pysical representation.

This makes eminent sense. Thanks for the clarification.

> Finally, two points:
>
> - the character popup is not modal (at least in xforms) and can be
>   kept open.

true but it's still a pain, if you are doing more than two things with it.

> - toolbar is not a good tool when you need something often, but
>   keybindings are better. We have keybindings for
>   typewriter/sans-serif.

this is imho orthogonal to what we are talking about. most people do not
use keyboard shortcuts, as gui access is "good enough".

thanks
john

--
"Ten decimals [digits of Pi] are sufficient to give the circumference of
the earth to the fraction of an inch, and thirty decimals would give