Pavel Sanda <sa...@lyx.org> writes:
> i just tried preserve insert menu from overpopulation and the file
> looked the only reasonable submenu to put it in.

It would be enough to have only one menu entry Insert>Info and open the
dialog to choose the right information. Menus are already a mess.

> another difference, is that insert->date is fixed string without update.
> you may need external date material (which maybe better implemented
> by inset info after all).

A date without update is also useful (a time stamp). This is a different
need than the external based thing. We should probably subsume both in a
unique inset (insetinfo), the the external material thing was only for
fun, not intended as a serious tool, as I understand it.