On 2009-03-31, Enrico Forestieri wrote:

>> Partly revert r28731 (see discussion in bug 5836).
>> Essentially, it is not true that Cyrillic characters in math are to be
>> typeset in italic by default, and LyX already permits to style them as
>> desired.

> Jürgen, may I apply the good bits of r28731 to branch? Patch attached.
> This patch provides a simplified definition of \lyxmathsym (leaving the
> output unchanged) and better reimport from latex. ATM, when importing
> from latex $\lyxmathsym{\textdegree§}$ one gets $°\lyxmathsym{§}$, i.e.,
> an ugly red \lyxmathsym macro, because only latex commands were recognized.
> Example latex file attached, too.

Could we simply use AMS \text instead of \lyxmathsym?
  Maybe with \ProvideCommand fallback definition in case the amsmath
package is not available.

Or, maybe we can do an input check and place all characters that are not
supported in math in a text-in-math box? This would give immediate
feedback to the user and facilitate styling "the lyx way".

Thanks for your work.

Günter