On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 10:18:16AM +0200, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:

> Guenter Milde <mi...@users.berlios.de> writes:
> > Could we simply use AMS \text instead of \lyxmathsym?
> >   Maybe with \ProvideCommand fallback definition in case the amsmath
> > package is not available.
>
> There is no need for a fallback. amsmath is in the 'required' category
> of LaTeX packages, we can assume it is here.

Note that AMS \text does not require loading all the AMS machinery. It is
provided by the amstext package, a very small subset with almost zero chance
of clashing with other packages. Indeed, I think that we should require amstext
anytime some text-in-math environment is used, as it takes care of proper
sizes in super and subscrits.

--
Enrico