> Yes, but the right solution is to test for R itself. When Sweave.sty is in a
place where LaTeX
> does not search, the Sweave R function actually outputs
>  \usepackage{/path/to/Sweave.sty}
> which is kind of ugly but does the trick. This is transparent for us, since
we do not add the
> \usepackage
> line ourselves.

This hack is indeed a bit unusual but will work, and this way the license of the used files is at least clear. But how do you check for R? Currently we search for Sweave.sty via chkconfig.ltx which is not sensible in my opinion.

>> Another problem is that the file Sweave.sty doesn't contain any info about
the author or license.

> It does not have much functionality either... I understand why the author did
not think it was
> worth distributing separately.

In terms of distributing it separately, but it should in my opinion include at least an author or origin - but this is not our problem with your proposed solution.

>> So currently Sweave is not usable, because one can't get the needed TeX
style file so that
>> LateX recognize it.
>
> No, having the style file will not help anybody.

I know but my opinion is that LaTeX files should be handled by LaTeX, because Sweave needs LaTeX AND R. So LaTeX would take care of the style file and R of the rest and the connection between LaTeX and R. But OK, I was too over-eager here due to my experience with various other LaTeX-related files like for example some special Japanese and Lithuanian helper files, that you now all find also on CTAN. So sorry again - I also corrected myself in an email to he Sweave author, are now quit, and are looking forward for your solution to find R.

regards Uwe