Lars> Yes, let's use fl_screen For now I changed it to use
Lars> DefaultScreen(fl_get_display()), will switch to fl_screen later.

Hmm, maybe I spoke too fast. It seems that DefaultScreen returns an
int, while DefaultScreenOfDisplay returns a Screen*. And, judging from
Xlib.h (and not only from the man page), they should be the same
thing...

So this was not the problem we were looking for. Another suspicious
thing is
     Display * tempdisp = XOpenDisplay(XDisplayName(0));

Are we guarranteed that this uses the right screen?