Dear Jürgen, all,
I'm pretty sure that the comment "Chapter is _not_ prepended" should be "Section is _not_ prepended". That makes a lot more sense, as Section isn't prepended, and especially as it comes just before the definition of the Section environment.

There was also another small formatting error -- Section numbers are rendered as 1.1 in amsbook (or A.1 in the appendix).

I do use AMS article, and one of my papers looked fine in it. I've never used AMS book -- while it's closely related, there may be someone who knows it better.

        To summarize:
== No changes to amsart.layout
== In amsbook.layout, apply patch below (against stock 1.6.2 file)
* fixes comment error (chapter vs section)
* prepends chapter number to section number in LyX display, more closely matching the latex output

I've also attached a LyX file that tries to put AMS book through its paces (with starred and unstarred chapters and an appendix). I found it not quite trivial to figure out everything that needed to be tested, and anyway, it's small.

        Sincerely,

                                                --Russ