Jose>   According to mine: man 3 printf

Jose>   The fprintf, printf, sprintf, vprintf, vfprintf, and vsprintf
Jose> functions conform to ANSI C3.159-1989 (`ANSI C'') and ISO/IEC
Jose> 9899:1999 (`ISO C99''). The snprintf and vsnprintf functions
Jose> conform to ISO/IEC 9899:1999.

Jose>   I don't think that ISO C99 should be called a gnu extension.
Jose> ;-) You are lucky to have said that today, if it was tomorrow
Jose> friday 13 I don't know what the consequences would be...

In fact, I did not quote in full the man page. It said:

       These  are  GNU extensions, expected to become part of ISO
       C9x.

Not a function we are supposed to use, anyway.