Hello

On 9/6/09, Uwe Stöhr <uwesto...@web.de> wrote:
>  Why is that usefule? LyX cannot really be "cited" since it is no document
> but a program.
>  What you can do is to reference one of our manuals or the www.lyx.org
> homepage. Note that there is no defined BibTeX entry for these kind of
> "citations". You can use the "misc", "electronic", or "other" term at the
> beginning of your BibTeX entry.

Thank you for pointing out; I wasn't aware of this. Checking the R
mailing list on the issue of citing their programme, I noticed that
they added an ISBN entry to the BibTeX file (see at the end of the
e-mail). An excerpt of one discussion [1]:

From: Friedrich Leisch <Friedrich.Leisch_at_stat.uni-muenchen.de>
Date: Wed 13 Sep 2006 - 07:43:34 GMT
"<skip>
The main reason that we assigned an ISBN to R is that some
people/journals/departments/... think that software cannot or should
not be cited, and in that cases it often helps to have an ISBN,
because it "looks more official". And the ISBN rules explicitly state
that software should get an ISBN for full references. "

And R is regularly cited in academic papers [2]. I am not sure how
this would be possible, but would it make sense to have LyX acquire an
ISBN, and ship a standardised BibTeX "Manual" entry, as R does?
Regards
Liviu

[1] http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/e2/devel/06/09/0177.html
[2]
http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=R%3A+A+Language+and+Environment+for+Statistical+Computing

> citation()

To cite R in publications use:

  R Development Core Team (2009). R: A language and environment for
  statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing,
  Vienna, Austria. ISBN 3-900051-07-0, URL http://www.R-project.org.

A BibTeX entry for LaTeX users is

  @Manual{,
    title = {R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing},
    author = {{R Development Core Team}},
    organization = {R Foundation for Statistical Computing},
    address = {Vienna, Austria},
    year = {2009},
    note = {{ISBN} 3-900051-07-0},
    url = {http://www.R-project.org},
  }

We have invested a lot of time and effort in creating R, please cite it
when using it for data analysis. See also ‘citation("pkgname")’ for
citing R packages.