On Sun, 20 Sep 2009, Steve Litt wrote:

On Sunday 20 September 2009 09:10:15 Tommaso Cucinotta wrote:
Afief Halumi ha scritto:

Personally I think the best way is to implement both the external and
the simple embedded editor.

There are so many editors out there, that it sounds me crazy to invent
yet another one..., and the requests for feature enhancements of a (too)
simple editor would quickly overcrowd the mailing lists and tickets.

Not only that, as a LyX user I see a cost to every added line of code -- one
more place for bugs to hide, and not necessarily bugs affecting only the
feature the code implements.

IIRC this thread started with someone using LyX to take notes in class. IMHO
LyX is a dead-bang wrong tool for that -- they should be using VimOutliner
(http://www.vimoutliner.org). VimOutliner sports much faster input speed, has

Or 'org-mode' for Emacs, depending on which editor they prefer.

Unless, if you're in a math class, I could well understand using LyX to make notes...

/Christian

simple ways to invoke existing graphic editors, and it's easy to make
VimOutliner to LyX scripts so the final product prints nicely (although
personally I'd rather use an outline than a text to study for an exam).

Just a simple button that creates an empty drawing copying a template
from a folder (and opening an external editor on it) seems really the
right way to go, it would solve your particular problem, it would leave
you with the complete freedom to pick any already existing editor that
you like, or just write a new one from scratch, if you prefer.

Agreed.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Recession Relief Package
http://www.recession-relief.US

Christian Ridderström                           Mobile: +46-8 768 39 44