On 01/14/2010 03:05 AM, Guenter Milde wrote:
On 2010-01-13, Andre Poenitz wrote:
Try to use the 'layout oriented' bits of MathML and invent our own for
the few cases where there is no clean match.
I suggest keeping math in LaTeX format (inside a<inset type=formula>
tag). (This can be changed later, if there is public request and
manpower, but math is a clear favourite for an incremental approach.)

For now, yes, I think it is best to leave math as is.

Independent of this:

We could consider using Unicode characters for LaTeX macros which are
supported by our 'unicodesymbols' file, e.g. β for \beta and ∫ for \int.

Here again, unless we're proposing to write \beta as β and then read β as \beta, I think you will see problems similar to those we were discussing with "---". LaTeX understands these sorts of macros not just as characters but as demanding certain sorts of spacing.

Richard