On 2010-01-14, rgheck wrote:
> On 01/14/2010 03:05 AM, Guenter Milde wrote:

>> We could consider using Unicode characters for LaTeX macros which are
>> supported by our 'unicodesymbols' file, e.g. β for \beta and ∫ for \int.

> Here again, unless we're proposing to write \beta as β and then read β
> as \beta,

The other way round:

I propose to use Unicode chars in the LyX file (so that if your write
\hbar, the math editor would not only show ℏ in the GUI but also write
it to the file. (\beta is a bad example, as we don't support it in math yet.)

If you insert ℏ in a math editor window, the source view shows that LaTeX
will see \hbar again. (As Unicode is forced in math, this holds also for
UTF-8 output encoding.)

> I think you will see problems similar to those we were
> discussing with "---". LaTeX understands these sorts of macros not just
> as characters but as demanding certain sorts of spacing.

"---" is not a macro but an input ligature.

Günter