>> there has been small hint that at least the official installer would
>> be somewhat refactorized. please would it be possible that you at
>> least _try_ to cooperate on one single code, resulting in a single
>> installer for windows?

Hi Joost,

concerning the installers, in the LyX 1.6 cycle I still had the problem that I had to maintain the installer alone as you were not accessible for longer times. It is therefore important for me to provide an installer I fully understand and with the features I need to do that. I'm nevertheless confident with the collaboration concerning the required libraries like spell checker etc. My main point is the maintaining of the installer, because it only makes sense if this is possible for all of us developers working on Windows. Looking into your installer code I miss comments and are still not able to fix bugs that were reported on the lyx-users list. As you might have seen on the list in the table metrics threads, I'm not a very talented programmer so that it might be my personal problem that I'm still not able to maintain your code, so please don't misunderstand me - I'm not criticizing you or any anyone else.

I therefore plan to continue my installer. Developers, if you vote not to mention my installer anymore on the LyX homepage, then be it. I'm only asking to be allowed to keep it in SVN.

Concerning Cmake, I tested it the last days and are not yet convinced that this is better than SCons. CMake shows nearly same compilation speed but misses the feature to automatically compile the po-files, the feature to remerge the po-files, and the feature automatically update the "Resources" folder if a file in SVN's "lib" folder was changed. But I think that the build system is a matter of taste because it doesn't have an influence on the compiled release versions of the lyx.exe.

Building the installer is already as easy as possible for me: SCons already provides everything that is necessary for LyX. I only have to copy files of third-party products like ImageMagick to the installer build folder when I need to update them. Then I run an NSIS script that builds me all 3 installer variants at once. For a new release I spent most of the time to update the third-party programs and to validate that they are working together with each other and together with LyX on all Windows platforms (they unfortunately often do not). This validation is the real time killer and I don't see a way to improve this situation.

regards Uwe