On Oct 25, 2010, at 4:51 AM, Richard Heck wrote:
> On 10/25/2010 03:52 AM, Abdelrazak Younes wrote:

>>> Well, as you presumably know, LyX depends pretty heavily upon Qt, both in
>>> the frontend and in support. Since Qt does not run on the iPad, you'd have
>>> to replace all of that. This is a massive undertaking. Some years ago,
>>> there was an attempt to produce a Gtk frontend for LyX. This was at a time
>>> when the core-gui stuff was much less entangled than it is now.
>>
>> This is not true. The core and gui stuff was very much more entangled at
>> this time than it is now... lots of glue glue code everywhere. Nowadays, all
>> you have to do is to rewrite frontend/qt4. QtCore is also used in
>> src/support/ but the project that listed below shows that this is not a
>> problem. Still, having a ported QtGui is the much easier path of course.
>>
> I could be wrong, but I think we now have much more application logic in the
> Gui* classes then we did before the removal of all the Controller* classes.
> Perhaps alot of that could just be copied over, but it is still more work.
>
> Anyway, I had a different thought, namely: If what you're looking at is more
> of a note-taking application with the ability to handle formulas, then there
> is a LOT of LyX that can remain in stub form. You probably don't need tables
> or any of the InsetCommand hierarchy. Probably not footnotes, etc. If so,
> then the problem becomes at least somewhat easier. Indeed, you might just
> want to fork us, as many of the improvements in LyX wouldn't be that relevant
> to what you were doing.
>
> Richard

Indeed, this is really what I was attempting at the outset - to extract the
equation editing pieces from LyX to use in my own app.  But once I got into the
code a bit and noticed that there was at least some attempt to make LyX GUI
agnostic, I got a big head and thought maybe I could port the whole thing.

I think I'll take your advice and fall back to my original plan.