On Wed, May 04, 2011 at 05:27:36PM +0200, Tommaso Cucinotta wrote:
> Il 04/05/2011 17:16, Rob Oakes ha scritto:
> >
> >>Software bloat is a term used to describe the tendency of newer computer
> >>programs to have a larger installation footprint, or have many unnecessary
> >>features that are not used by end users, or just generally use more system
> >>resources than necessary, while offering little or no benefit to its users.
> [...]
> >But I'm all for helping to reduce the memory footprint and optimizing code,
> >but I think we should think carefully before removing existing features.
>
> On a related note, does anyone know how much "bloating" effect comes
> from the use of more and more recent Qt (or other libraries, i..e,
> boost) versions :-) ?

Most certainly not.

And the minimum requirements of LyX on both are not even
remotely "recent".

> Also, if really we have too many features, what about trying to
> embed some modularity in LyX and make them dynamically loadable
> on-demand ?

Overengineered extra code to maintain.

Plugin systemis only (or rather, "at most") make sense if there's
a decent chance to have third parties creating plugins that are
not maintained/distributed with the main product.

For LyX, assuming a probability of zero for that case seems to be
a good first approximation.

> (i.e., dynamically linked libraries/plugins loaded on
> demand) Or, confine some features into external tools launched on
> demand, as opposed to have it integrated into the main code ? (e.g.,
> what is the current implementation model for the "Compare Document"
> feature ? Is it "integrated" in LyX, or does it call an external
> program ?)

The maintenance effort will outweigh any potential benefits by
several orders of magnitude.

> But, first of all maybe we need clear measurements for assessing
> whether or not any of the above is really necessary.

I don't think it's worthwhile to spend time to come to obvious
conclusions, but I certainly won't stop anyone doing that.

Andre'