Hi Uwe,

Below are my comments/concerns.
I guess in the future it's better to have a little discussion on the devel
list first so things don't have to be reverted.

"Uwe Stöhr" <uwesto...@web.de> wrote in message
 >   - you installed LyX's sty-files always to MiKTeX's user folder. But
when LyX is installed for all
> users, we need to install them to MiKTeX's main folder to be available for
> all users

What if the user is not the administrator and only installs LyX for his/her
own user account?
AFAIK this was the reason why I changed the implementation.

> - I used the custom LaTeX installer page from my installer, only because
> this is already translated to 22 languages. The page design is a matter of
> taste, so we can also use yours if you prefer it for a certain reason.

The custom page system was a generic one supporting additional applications
if needed in the future. I think it's better to keep that.

> - there is now an installer page where you can select LyX's start menu
> folder. This was once requested by users.

I don't agree with this. There's no reason to have a subfolder in the start
menu because we only have one shortcut. It should be in the main start menu
according to the Microsoft UI guidelines.

> - there is now an installer page where you can select the components to
> install like JabRef and GSview, if there should be a desktop icon or not
> and if the .lyx file extension should be linked to the installed LyX
> version.

I'm not sure about GSview. It's commercial software with a nag screen.
I think it should be removed.

> - the last installer page has now an option to start LyX after the
> installation. The option is by default disabled, but this feature is kind
> of standard (users expect this, especially new ones).

This was removed on purpose because LyX will run with the wrong user account
since the installer has elevated privileges. So any preferences that are
changed etc. will not be preserved. Please remove it until a proper solution
is implemented.

> - register also *.lyx14 and *.lyx13 to LyX if the user agreed to link
> *.lyx to the new LyX version.
>
> - created 2 different nsi-files. This way you can simply execute the
> lyx-bundle.nsi file and get a ready to use bundle installer. (No need to
> edit an NSIS file.)

There's no reason to duplicate code. Defines can be set in the NSIS GUI, but
if you prefer a seperate file do something like:

!define SETUPTYPE_BUNDLE
!incluce lyx.nsi

> (-you can ignore my path changes insettings.nsh, I'm to lazy to remove
> them (they went in accidentally))

Please do revert. The paths no longer match INSTALL.Win32 now.

 > > - why do you use a file list for things like the fonts? They are all in
LyX's Resources folder like
> the layout files and scripts. Moreover, you missed 2 fonts in your list.
> Also for python and Ghostscript there is no list necessary because we can
> file the whole folder recursively.

Yea those lists I removed already. I think I forgot to commit.

> - why do you use special versions of Python and Ghostscript? This makes it
> hard for other to build the installer and I don't see why this is
> necessary. It is also harder to keep them up to date. I built an installer
> where I used the official versions of the latest IM, Python 2.7.1 and GS
> 9.0.2. They work fine here on my two test PCs - one with GS and Python
> pre-installed, one without them.

They are special portable versions. They don't work by default without
administrator privileges.

Can you remove the code for detecting external Ghostscript/Python etc.?
I really want to keep bundling a tested combination of the external tools
which also support normal user accounts.

> - you don't have the LyXLauncher in your dependency package. Can you
> please add it.

That's because it's gone. There's no need for LyXLauncher anymore. LyX is
now a real Windows GUI application.
Please set APP_RUN back to LyX.exe.

> Some generalities:
>
> - the idea is to provide an installer that can be used by every developer
> if he has NSIS installed. He can then call the lyx.nsi file and get a
> ready to use installer. Everything should be possible withing the
> checked-out SVN folders. I therefore want to put your dependency package
> also to SVN.

The dependency package is downloaded automatically by CMake.

> - MiKTeX should not be downloaded. Bundling it has the advantage that the
> user can download one installer

I think it's a good feature to offer a download option in the standard
installer.

> - decrease the installer size by not shipping every exotic spell checker
> language file. I plan to ship only the English files by default. Others
> can be installed from the Web. A normal user only needs 1 language (and
> not 113 as we currently ship) and downloading/installing it doesn't
> require a broadband connection.

I'm OK with that if we should keep the current UI but download the
dictionaries instead.

> The installation of these files need also be changed because all future
> LyX versions will use them. So we should do the same as for Aspel: install
> them so as they don't need to be installed/uninstalled for every new LyX
> release. They will be installed as standalone program. If you later really
> need to update your dictionary, you can download the latest version from
> the net and put it in hunspell's installation folder.

It's way too much work to create installers for all the dictionaries as we
did for Aspell.

Regards,
Joost