Am 05.09.2011 19:44, schrieb Vincent van Ravesteijn:

I don't understand. Joost proposed to "transfer the translations". I would
expect them to use the
same strings and thus the same translations.

The strings are different due to the different layout of the 2 installer pages.

The problem with the generic code is that you expect every MiKTeX version to
act the same. But
this was not the case in the past. Registry entries changed and even names of
executables we need
to configure MikTeX. So we need to check each major release, e.g. the future
MiKTeX 2.10 (which is
probably not released under this version number but as MiKTeX 3.0).

So, if you have a newer MikTeX installed, you prefer to not be able to use it
over the fact that
people use it and it might not work completely right (in some exceptional
cases) ?

What are you referring to? The installer needs to check the LaTeX system. If more than one system is installed, it should use the newest one, if TeXLive and MiKTeX is installed, we use MiKTeX. Each MiKTeX release requires different registry settings (in this case these are the MiKTeX settings) and there own executable names. We need to configure MiKTeX in any case, for example to install LyX-specific packages like broadway. To do this, we copy the files to MiKTeX's repository and thus need to know its location. Then we need to refresh MiKTeX's package file name database. This is done by executing one of MiKTeX's programs (maybe with parameters). So we need to know the name of the executable and its location. Perhaps we also need to set some special registry entry before. This is just one example and this procedure changes from version to version of MiKTeX.

regards Uwe