On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 4:40 PM, Pavel Sanda <sa...@lyx.org> wrote:

> Rainer M Krug wrote:
> > True - but the alternative is to code the tests, which is, as discussed,
> > quite problematic.
>
> or to steal them from git.

But I assume that these can also change over time, especially as they are
internal.

> > There is this option for git status which could be used:
> > --porcelain
> >            Give the output in a stable, easy-to-parse format for scripts.
> >            Currently this is identical to --short output, but is
> guaranteed
> >            not to change in the future, making it safe for scripts.
>
> good to know, thanks.
>
> > > 3. possible network problems written in other mail.
> > >

> > But if "git status" does not work, I do not expect the other "git"
> commands
> > to work?
>
> the problem i'm pointing to is that user who doesn't work with any RCS
> system
> may experience freezes when loading file just because we are playing in
> unrelated
> parts of the file system.

This mustn't happen - but isn't this risk higher when we are trying to use
own / copied routines to check then using an established command like "git
status"?

For the medium term: what about per file or general options, which enable
certain vcs? these could then be enabled by the user, and when loading the
files afterwards be checked automatically.

Rainer

> pavel

UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)

Stellenbosch University