Guys

> Errr....
>
> Let's get this straight. Before you Reconfigured, you couldn't open
> Edit->Preferences. After you reconfigured you could.

Before manually reconfiguring I could open up the Preferences but it would
cause the crash.

Yes, when lyx is installing it runs reconfigure.  However, I presume the
problem arose cause I installed as root, so the automatic reconfigure would
have been for root, would it not?

After I ran reconfigure manually the crash no longer appeared.  That would also
explain why when I ran lyx from a terminal window I got buckets of warning
about my lyxrc file.

Does this help?

Ben