On 11/18/2011 05:53 PM, Xu Wang wrote:
> Dear Maynard,
>
> I think Richard's reply was actually quite polite compared to yours.
> I'm not sure what it is that you don't understand. English seems like
> your native language (you probably speak it better than me lol), so
> I'm guessing that you do understand the meaning of the words you chose
> to use. Just in case though, here are some examples:
>
> You start off by "This is ridiculous". From what I understand, you are
> suggesting that it is ridiculous that the LyX developers have not
> fixed this bug. That is quite offensive. It is insensitive and
> suggests that they are not correctly doing their job. It kind of
> sounds like you're saying that *they* are ridiculous.

I'll add that none of us do this as our job (not that you need to be
told, Xu), but are doing this in our spare time. What little of it we have.

> 'DON'T do the half-assed job... do the job properly.'
> --Assuming that English is your native language, you should realize
> that these statements are commands. These are demands.

People who act as if it's their right to demand that we do *anything*
clearly do not understand the development of free and open source software.

> Further, using capital letters is analogous to shouting in spoken English.

I'll add:
    People have been complaining...since 2003 and it still isn't fixed.
        ...as if it's our duty to respond to people's "complaints".
    Doing the job properly means....
       ...as if anyone gets to tell us what to do.
    What is truly dumb...
        ...UH HUH...
    ...they are completely useless...
        ...because they don't work the way the reporter wants them to work.
    And then goes ahead to actually bind command-E to the completely
useless "font-emph"!
        ...as if we're utter morons and no one ever uses font-emph.

> As a final note, I just want to say that I can relate to you, Maynard.
> I have often been quite frustrated with bugs that stay around for a
> long time. I haven't had this happen in LyX, but in many other
> projects, both open sourced and proprietary. I've often had the same
> reaction as you. But usually I calm down and realize that the
> developers know a lot more than I do and even though some bugs look
> like they're simple, often they are not.
>
> Also, I'm not sure why you sent this to the list? Why didn't you just
> contact Richard privately? What is it that you want to share with the
> rest of us, exactly? Or were you just looking for a third opinion?

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Richard