Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:
> But tell us more about your distro. What does it do that could break
> everything?

I didn't say it would break everything :)
Under gentoo you can set system-wide or per package the language you want
to be installed. For example if I set that I'm interested only in french
translations only fr.gmo is going to be installed.

I have never looked what's going on behind the scenes - whether its just some
gentoo related hack or more general mechanism of autotools.

>From what I understood this patch will list all translations allowed
(I guess originally taken from LINGUAS file, right?) and install it in
specific file.

So here, we would have e.g. only fr.gmo installed and that new file
with all translations listed. The current situation is that if you set
your LC_MESSAGES=de_DE at this config, you'll get normal english
interface. With this patch, can something worse happen? (I mean is the
code dependent on installed_translations being correct?)

Pavel