Kornel Benko wrote:

> Am Freitag, 5. Oktober 2012 um 17:57:10, schrieb Jean-Marc Lasgouttes
> <lasgout...@lyx.org>
>> Le 05/10/2012 17:50, Kornel Benko a écrit :
>> > No, cosmetics reasons only. Nothing should mess source tree if one
>> > wants to build outside the source. This way there may be any number of
>> > build trees (each different configured).
>>
>> I'd say that _some_ special make target can be intended to modify the
>> source code. This is already the case of the update-po rule in po/
>> directory.
>>
>> JMarc
>
> True. I am not happy with this either, but this solution is now often
> used.

Why are you not happy (serious question)? There needs to be _some_ mechanism
to maintain stuff like .po files, the layouttranslations file or reference
results for tests. IMHO the build system is the perfect tool to do that job.
Manually copying files is out of question, so the only alternative that
comes to my mind are separate scripts, but I don't see the advantage of such
a solution.
Of course these things are only interesting for a small number of
developers, and I agree that simply building LyX and playing around with it
should not need to modify the source tree.

Georg