Abdelrazak Younes <you...@lyx.org> writes:

| On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 2:27 PM, Lars Gullik Bjønnes <lar...@gullik.org>
wrote:
>> C++11 would make the code look a lot nicer, esp. thru the use of range
>> based for, and auto:
>>
>>     std::vector<string>::iterator at = somevec.begin();
>>     std::vector<string>::iterator end = someved.end();
>>     for (; at != end; ++at) {
>>     }
>>
>> would be replaced with:
>>
>>     for (auto & s: somevec) {
>>     }
>>
>> and
>>
>>     std::vector<std::pair<string, string> > & vs = getVector();
>>
>> would be replaced with:
>>
>>     auto & vs = getVector();
>
| That would be nice indeed but we would then require a recent version
| of gcc and msvc. Not a real problem for msvc but gcc is a problem if
| we want to support older distribution.

Not too much. Quite a bit of C++11 is supported in compilers back to gcc
gcc 4.3, but not really useful until 4.6. (auto in 4.5, range based for
in 4.6).

CentOS 4 has gcc 4.4 (as gcc4) but is rather ancient in itself.

I am not suggesting to begin using C++11 now, but in about a year it
should be really possible.

msvc 11 has ok support I think, same with clang.

Do you have other compilers that people use regularly?

--
   Lgb