On Dec 27, 2012 2:43 PM, "Richard Heck" <rgh...@lyx.org> wrote:

> On 12/27/2012 03:27 PM, Nico Williams wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 2:18 PM, Richard Heck <rgh...@lyx.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> So the voting seems to be that we should release a 2.0.5.1, with just
the
>>> fix for the babel issue. The question now is how, in git, to do this.
>>>
>>> It's easy enough to do:
>>>      git checkout tags/2.0.5
>>> This puts me in "detached head", though, so I need to create a branch
if I
>>> want to save anything. So I can do:
>>>      git checkout -b 2.0.5.1
>>> which gives me a new branch and do everything there.
>>>
>>> This is fine, but it will leave us with this extra branch forever,
right? I
>>> thought maybe I should put it in a namespace, like: fixes/2.0.5.1, or
>>> something like that. Opinions?
>>
>> Well, the branch can be deleted when you've made the final release for
>> that branch, just tag the head first then delete the branch.  In any
>> case, my advice is to have no project branches in the official repo,
>> just master and release branches, thus the official repo is not
>> cluttered.  Project branches should live in clones of the official
>> repo, and should be merged into master before being pushed/pulled into
>> the official repo.  This approach works well for other projects using
>> git.
>
> Yes, that is what I am trying to achieve, but I was worried that deleting
the 2.0.5.1 branch would invalidate the tag. I guess not? I'm definitely
not a git expert.

Tags and branches are independent; your branch operations will not
interfere with tags and vice versa.

> Anyway, let's say I create the 2.0.5.1 branch, for this new release, and
do everything there (which is not much). Do I then need to push this branch
before I tag it? and then push the tag? How do I then delete the branch
from the main repo?

No, but you should.  You can always delete the branch later.  But it seems
better to me to keep release branches around.

> Obviously, I do not with to make mistakes here.

As long as you don't delete tags our branches, it garbage collect the repo
you won't be doing anything destructive.

Nico