On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 2:18 PM, Richard Heck <rgh...@lyx.org> wrote:
> So the voting seems to be that we should release a 2.0.5.1, with just the
> fix for the babel issue. The question now is how, in git, to do this.
>
> It's easy enough to do:
>     git checkout tags/2.0.5
> This puts me in "detached head", though, so I need to create a branch if I
> want to save anything. So I can do:
>     git checkout -b 2.0.5.1
> which gives me a new branch and do everything there.
>
> This is fine, but it will leave us with this extra branch forever, right? I
> thought maybe I should put it in a namespace, like: fixes/2.0.5.1, or
> something like that. Opinions?

Well, the branch can be deleted when you've made the final release for
that branch, just tag the head first then delete the branch.  In any
case, my advice is to have no project branches in the official repo,
just master and release branches, thus the official repo is not
cluttered.  Project branches should live in clones of the official
repo, and should be merged into master before being pushed/pulled into
the official repo.  This approach works well for other projects using
git.

Nico