Am 22.01.2013 23:43, schrieb Uwe Stöhr:

Isn't there the possibility to either use the miktex-sdk or to call the
miktex-updater with
command-line options to install the packages we need ? I guess this would go
much quicker than to
run the configure script to install the packages.

The MiKTeX package manager runs the same commands as the chkconfig.ltx file
that we call from
configure.py. Because what our TeX file does is to tell MiKTeX it needs a
missing package. Thus
MiKTeX's package manager comes into play and downloads the packages.
If you try to do the same using MiKTeX's package manager GUI and select all
packages you need and
install them at once you are not faster because also in this case every package
is unpacked separately.

While thinking of it, the reason for the slowness might be that MiKTeX is
updating the file name
database after each package unpacking. I'll discuss this with the MiKTeX
maintainer if this is
really necessary. If not, I'll request that the MiKTeX SDK supports this.

He found a solution. With this one the time for a fresh lyX installation on a new PC is reduced from about 10 minutes to 3.5 minutes and now only depends on your Internet connection speed. The trick was indeed to download all packages at one and refresh the file name database of MiKTeX only once after downloading. For already existing installation of MiKTeX this solution does not yet work in all cases but I hope that the MiKTeX maintainer can implement the missing piece

I will provide a new installer the next days.

regards Uwe