Hi,

just as a further idea for a GSoC project, let me re-forward to the list what I
had written some time ago, where I couldn't see any comment. Perhaps this has
slipped out of attention, or simply it's not of interest for anyone :-).
Note that I would NOT volunteer as a mentor here, but someone else might be
willing to do so, in the case...

> 2) smooth scrolling: when scrolling a LyX document up and down with the
> keyboard
>    (through up, down, page-up, page-down keys, but also when occurring as
> result
>    of moving right and left), the WorkArea may scroll smoothly from the
> current
>    position to the new position. The problem with the current behaviour is
> that
>    the view is changed abruptly, something that is not a problem for small
> moves,
>    while moving across regular text. But, as soon as a table or picture or big
>    equation comes in the loop, the position is moved a lot, causing visual
>    annoyance.
>    I heard especially Mac users to complain about how LyX scrolls up and down.
>    They're a community particularly used to smoothness in general. They'll
> love
>    such a feature.
>    Note that while doing smooth scrolling, we should NOT be redrawing the
> whole
>    screen all the time, but rather scroll it and redraw only the new visible.
>    This feature may not be energy-saving for laptops, so allow for disabling
> it
>    in preferences, or automatically disable it when on battery.

Thanks,

        T.